Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Bindi Irwin Speaks at Her Dad's Memorial


Eight-year-old Bindi Irwin got up at her father, Steve Irwin's, memorial, and spoke of her dad.

From The Sydney Morning Herald: Smiling and reading her own tribute from a sheet of paper in front of an image of her dad, she said: "My daddy was my hero - he was always there for me when I needed him." She traced the words on the paper with a finger. "He listened to me and taught me so many things but most of all he was fun. I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did." She said her father built a hospital and bought land to give animals a safe place to live and she wanted to continue his legacy. "I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end," she said. "I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did." Bindi said she would miss her father. "I have the best Daddy in the whole world and I will miss him every day," she said. "When I see a crocodile I will always think of him and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals. "Daddy made this place his whole life and now it's our turn to help Daddy."

Such a sweet little girl. I feel for her. I know how it is to grow up without a parent and seriously, this kid is tough. I couldn't have done that at her age.

I saw a picture of Terri Irwin on one of the stories about the memorial, and the poor thing was just in tears. I hope she's holding up well and has plenty of support. I know my thoughts are with her and her kids.

No comments: